Here are some steps summary for creating a better documentation. I took them from a blog from techrepublics.com.
- Document with picture if possible
- Give examples
- Don’t presume to assume (don’t over estimate readers)
- Anticipate problems
- Test your documentation
- Humanize your work
- Explore new technologies (efficient cost)
- Do the documentation yourself (if possible)
- Coordinate development of the end user documentation with internal/system documentation
- Follow department or corporate document guidelines
And I’ve found a very useful screen capture freeware named picpick. Thanks for the developer for the great software!